4-day week

• Community ManagerCommunity Manager
    Community Manager

Did any of you switch to a 4-day week? My company is considering it during the summer months, and I’m curious what kind of policies you had to put in place, and other implications it brought.

April 24, 2023 at 17:06
    • Maureen Niittynen, PCPMaureen Niittynen, PCP
      Advocates Council

My employer provides us with the opportunity to work a 4-day work week in the summer. We also close the office a half-hour earlier. My team loves the switch to the 4-day work week.

April 26, 2023 at 13:23
      • Kirsty MaddenKirsty Madden
        Member since Jun 2022

It would be a dream to move to a 4 day work week, unfortunately we are in the insurance industry and it just isn’t feasible for us.

April 27, 2023 at 08:32
        • Anonymous

My company is discussing for 4 day week. It will be very difficult because we run payroll on Fridays.

April 27, 2023 at 21:02
          • Denise BurnettDenise Burnett
            Member since Apr 2022

We have not switched to a 4 day week. We are customer facing and provide services to the local community so reducing our work week overall is challenging and not likely possible. Our organization is, however, very flexible with work schedules and there are options for individual staff to have reduced hours, for periods of time up to a year, with approval.

April 28, 2023 at 09:01
            • Stacey Wood PCPStacey Wood PCP
              Advocates Council

We typically do go to a 4-day wk during the summer–some shuffling is required to ensure that all Finance/Payroll gets processed in a timely manner, but everyone’s willing to work together to make it happen. Could we do it year-round? Not sure, as there are periods that not only require a 5-day wk but extra hours on those days.

April 28, 2023 at 10:37
              • Candice Provincial, PCPCandice Provincial, PCP
                Member since Sep 2022

I am interested in a 4 day work week. I work for a small company and I am on time with deadlines by Friday I am looking for extra work. Considering the 4 day work week would be great for mental health and to get things done. When they tested the 4 day work week with some companies in Ontario, there was some positive feed back which included: employee morale was high and so were those companies sales. Customer satisfaction was much higher during this time also.

April 28, 2023 at 16:06
                • Gayle Prowett PCPGayle Prowett PCP
                  Member since May 2023

I would love to have this option but it has not been offered to anyone in our company.

May 2, 2023 at 16:21
                  • Jacquie ShantzJacquie Shantz
                    Member since May 2023

At a previous position. We worked 15 mins extra a day from September to end of June. This allowed us to take 7 Fridays off in the summer and reduce the hours for the other 4 days of the week by 1/2 hour.
                      I do feel that positivity went up and our work did not suffer from this, overall, the culture was great during the summer months.
                      Right now, at my current position, I have one employee working a 4-day work week but, they work 4 10-hour days to have a 4-day work week.

May 3, 2023 at 10:58
                    • Bianca Mueller, CPBBianca Mueller, CPB
                      Advocates Council

While my work is very flexible and supportive on personal time and has a great PTO policy, I would gladly work a bit more every day to bring my week down to 4 days.

May 3, 2023 at 12:18
                      • Community ManagerCommunity Manager
                        Community Manager

I want to thank all of you for your great answers! Such an interesting and trending topic.

We found this discussion so interesting, we decided to turn it into an article!

Make sure to check it out: https://hcmdialogue.ca/articles/where-do-canadians-stand-on-the-4-day-work-week-9-community-members-share-their-thoughts/

May 26, 2023 at 17:09
                        • Harman Dhatt PCPHarman Dhatt PCP
                          Member since Sep 2022

I proposed this idea to my employer but they are not looking to do this.

May 31, 2023 at 19:00
                          • Margaret GenettiMargaret Genetti
                            Member since Jul 2022

Our Corporation has decided to look into this, as other Municipalities have begun working 4 days weeks. In the next couple months they are creating a test pilot. I personally hope it goes through.

June 13, 2023 at 13:58
                            • Theodora Lindsey, PLP, C.MI.Theodora Lindsey, PLP, C.MI.
                              Member since Apr 2023

We have had a 4 1/2 day work week for years, it is great to get off early every Friday afternoon, and if we have to work we bank lieu time.
                                It would be great to just have the whole Friday off.

June 13, 2023 at 14:45
                              • Trina Anderson, PCPTrina Anderson, PCP
                                Member since Aug 2022

This has been brought up on numerous occasions but the powers that be won’t consider it for the administrative staff. We do have service employees that work a 4on/4off shift rotation and they love it! I would love to work extra time to be allowed early Fridays or Friday’s off during the summer months.

June 13, 2023 at 14:53
                                • Nadera PersadNadera Persad
                                  Member since Dec 2022

God knows we need this in Canada, but looks like it’ll take another 100 years before it happens.

July 14, 2023 at 14:49
                                  • The topic ‘4-day week’ is closed to new replies.

Related tags

Wellness Programs