What is the most reliable payroll software in the market?

• DanDan
    Community Manager

What is the most reliable payroll software in the market?

March 31, 2022 at 06:51
    • Anonymous

I’ve worked with a couple but my favourite is Ceridian Dayforce. I find that once you drill down into the platform, there is a lot of customization that you can do to really make it work for you.

April 14, 2022 at 13:06
        • Marna Lagerquist, PLPMarna Lagerquist, PLP
          Board of Advisors

My favourite is Ceridian Dayforce as well.

May 27, 2022 at 10:35
          • Matthew MacPherson, PLPMatthew MacPherson, PLP
            Member since Jun 2022

We just made the transition to Dayforce. Our payroll is not complicated but certainly not without challenges. The customization options with Dayforce were amazing to see as we worked through it. The implementation team left some to be desired but we took the training and were able to set up whole modules to our liking.

June 21, 2022 at 10:32
          • Bianca Mueller, CPBBianca Mueller, CPB
            Board of Advisors

Let’s define “reliable”. In today’s day and age, reliability can mean a few things…especially when it comes to cloud payroll.

1 – Does the software require regular updates? Does it have unpredicted outages and downtimes?
              All software and more importantly cloud software is amazing when it works, but there can be unpredicted slowdowns. Do your research to see what users are saying. How much time are they losing, is it consistent, and how big or how long are the outages? Also, keep in mind that older software systems tend to have more and more outages due to necessary updates to keep up with technology.

2 – Can you rely on customer support?
              We all know how tight the turnaround times are for payroll. If your payroll software provider can’t assist you within a reasonable time or doesn’t have a ticket prioritization system in place, you could face critical and costly delays. Find a provider with reliable and consistent customer support.

3 – Can you rely on it to keep up with other technology and integration options?
              Or do you have workarounds that may leave room for errors? Does your software integrate with time management software and/or your accounting software? These are important things to think about because the more you have to manually transfer data, the more open your process is for errors.

4 – Can you rely on it being secure?
              Ensure that the payroll software you choose is meeting or exceeding security compliance. Choose software with features like:
              *Two-factor authentication
              *Admin and role delegation/ restrictions
              *Portal for distribution of employee pay information (please do not email payroll information without additional security measures)

Hope these considerations help you decide which payroll software will be reliable for you!

May 3, 2022 at 10:57
            • Tracy Levia, PCPTracy Levia, PCP
              Member since Jun 2022

This is my number one question. I’ve used 3 different systems so far, and they each leave a lot to be desired. I’d like to see more responses to this question, especially from PCP’s who have experience running payroll for companies with 50 to 100 employees. I’d like to find a better system for our company.

June 23, 2022 at 01:58
                • Linda ChapmanLinda Chapman
                  Member since Sep 2022

I have been using Easypay for one of my clients for over 20 years and I haven’t yet found anything that I would consider replacing it with. I have never run into a case where the software went down, there are updates whenever there is a change to government reporting but notification pops up that there is an update and it’s quick and easy to perform the update, support has always been there when I needed it which hasn’t been often. At this point I have over 700 employees’ records going back to the early 90’s (I was recently asked if I could go back and calculate the hours an employee had from his start date to retirement and I had it in minutes). I regularly do payroll for up to 100 employees in 3 provinces and 6 unions and it provides me with all of the information that I need for all my remittances. It has adapted as the years have gone by and I can easily upload my file to my bank for direct deposit and employees have a log-in to view their paystubs and T4’s. I have the ability to e-file T4’s and T4A’s and upload to ROE Web. An additional plus is that there is an annual fee of $399 the first year then $299/year after that for the software and I can add as many clients as I want.

September 14, 2022 at 16:22
                • Denise Gilders, PCPDenise Gilders, PCP
                  Member since Jun 2022

I have used a few, by far my favorite is Workday. It’s a fantastic Payroll. HRIS and Finance system. We have 3rd party support which has been fantastic.

June 28, 2022 at 21:15
                    • Katie RothertKatie Rothert
                      Member since Jun 2022

We just switched to Workday this year, and I really like it so far. We were with Ultipro/UKG prior, but we struggled with some of the Canadian specific pieces especially.

October 19, 2022 at 16:31
                    • Irene PaulIrene Paul
                      Member since Sep 2022

I can’t answer this question as I work for a payroll software provider but I can say that it really depends on the company, number of employees, complexity of payroll and what other features are needed. There is no one size fits all.

September 14, 2022 at 15:17
                      • Susan CrockfordSusan Crockford
                        Member since Sep 2022

It depends on your needs and budget. Don’t just go by what the sales person tells you . Ask about price per payroll, what they charge for ROE’s, special reports, and standard reports. What do they consider a “standard report”. Ask for demo’s that show how to create your own report, samples of their standard reports, and anything else that you specifically need.

Dayforce :OK but rather restricted, and does not allow employees who have terminated during the year to see old paystubs/T4’s, or even current T4’s unless company wants to spend mega bucks to allow them to keep their access. As well they charge a lot for little things that all add up. Also, if your company has more than one business number it can become confusing if you have someone that works under more than one business number as employees can not have multiple employee numbers. ie: McDonald employee working at two different locations.

ADP: OK and a lot cheaper in long run than Dayforce. Employee can have more than one employee number. Easier to navigate and run own reports.

September 15, 2022 at 11:45
                        • Martina Heine, PLPMartina Heine, PLP
                          Member since Sep 2022

I have worked with a few over the years, and if I had to pick one, I couldn’t. Now, if I could combine them all, that one would be my favorite. As everyone mentioned above, depends on your budget, needs, wants, senior management, etc..

October 17, 2022 at 16:13
                          • Nargis YakubNargis Yakub
                            Member since Apr 2022

I use ADP Workforcenow and it is reliable. I was involved with the implementation, so I know exactly how it is set up and I can easily make changes when needed.

October 18, 2022 at 09:50
                            • Lisa NistorLisa Nistor
                              Board of Advisors

I haven’t found one that I love or would outright recommend. I know that something to consider when picking a new system is how well it deals with Canadian regulations and if the company has a knowledge base for Canadian companies to use as a resource. In one of the most recent applications I worked in, Record of employments were a bit of a headache. And we ran tons of them. The company was fairly reliable when it came to tax updates etc. though.

December 29, 2022 at 11:57
                              • The topic ‘What is the most reliable payroll software in the market?’ is closed to new replies.