What specific health benefits are in demand, or aren’t used?

• DanDan
    Community Manager

What specific health benefits are in demand or aren’t used?

April 21, 2022 at 17:11
    • Patricia SumterPatricia Sumter
      Member since May 2022

We find practitioners such as physiotherapists, massage therapists, and chiropractors are the most highly used under our benefits plan, however the demand for access to mental health practitioners is the highest it’s ever been. Strangely, the benefit that is the most underused is the health care spending account.

May 5, 2022 at 11:54
        • Marna Lagerquist, PLPMarna Lagerquist, PLP
          Board of Advisors

I have also noticed the Health Spending Account is underused. I found the EAP program is underused as well.

May 27, 2022 at 09:50
          • Cathy StinzianoCathy Stinziano
            Member since Apr 2022

I would be interested hearing why you think the healthcare spending account is underused? We have had very tentative discussions on implementing this in the past. I would have expected that employees would totally spend it all!

April 6, 2023 at 10:45
          • Anonymous

I’ve found that certain paramedical practitioners are used more than other with the main ones being massage therapists, chiropractors and physiotherapists. I also find that vision benefits are in demand, however a lot of companies don’t provide a lot of coverage for this. Of course drug benefits and dental benefits are also well used.

May 9, 2022 at 15:35
            • Denise BurnettDenise Burnett
              Member since Apr 2022

Mental health benefits are greatly in demand and probably not robust enough for a comprehensive enough support program. We have had quite a bit of out of pocket expenses in this area.

May 10, 2022 at 13:46
              • Josh RuitersJosh Ruiters
                Member since May 2022

Typically when benefits are under used, it comes down to employees not being familiar enough with them. People know how to use drugs, dental and health practitioners because they’re high frequency benefits. Health Spending accounts, EAP’s, and even some mental health coverages are not as frequent or common so people might be hesitant to use them or explore them. As an example for mental health; some plans cover psycho therapy, while others cover Psychology, understanding which is covered and how to access which one your plan covers can be confusing. Mental Health is also a topic employees might not be comfortable asking HR for help with.

Making sure your program doesn’t have those “hurdles” and designing a good communication strategy around the benefits plan will greatly help to increase engagement and appreciation.

June 7, 2022 at 12:41
                • Mary CordeaMary Cordea
                  Member since Sep 2022

Mental Health Benefits are on the rise. Telemedicine is also increasingly desirable. COVID-19 has increased focus on self-care, making wellness perks an increasingly desirable feature in employee benefit plans.

September 14, 2022 at 18:30
                  • Elizabeth HallElizabeth Hall
                    Member since Jun 2022

Mental health benefits and short term disability are in demand and are being used. EAP usage has increased but is not fully utilized. The health spending is being used for employee portion of meds and glasses but could also be used for employee portion of benefits that help with mental health – like massage and therapists.

September 15, 2022 at 10:03
                    • Martina Heine, PLPMartina Heine, PLP
                      Member since Sep 2022

I feel like chiropractic and massage therapists could be in demand more than ever from people who were working from home and continue working remotely without the proper setup of desks, monitor heights, etc.. I definitely have been using and have already reached my maximum amounts for the year on each. Reflexology was added as a new paramedical practitioner and psychologists, social workers, clinical counsellors, therapists and psychotherapists paramedical coverage increased by $250.

October 3, 2022 at 16:10
                      • Amy McShaneAmy McShane
                        Member since Sep 2022

We, too, have seen an increase in demand for mental health services, and doubled our annual maximum/covered member recently for that reason. As for underutilized HSA, we identified this about 10 years ago. At that time, we introduced the option of a Wellness (taxable) Spending account as an option for employees. So, each year, plan members get to choose how to allocate their spending account credits (including being able to split them between the two). Eligible expenses under the taxable account include things like: sports equipment, registered arts and fitness classes, monthly/annual sports facility passes, alternate health therapies (not covered under HSA). Since the introduction of this option, we have seen a significant drop in forfeited credits. We manage the administration of the taxable account in-house and reimburse through payroll, and the non-taxable HSA is still through our third-party benefits carrier.

October 17, 2022 at 16:02
                        • Sharyl JansSharyl Jans
                          Member since Oct 2022

Our benefits include Ostopathy and I had to google to find out what that even was. The major ones are for sure hit the most.

I think there are areas within a benefits package when you go to tender for them could be better explained or maybe replaced with more relevant ones or just more money in the ones you know get used I would hope.

January 25, 2023 at 17:14
                          • Trina Anderson, PCPTrina Anderson, PCP
                            Member since Aug 2022

The EAP is under-utilized in our company. Employees really want mental health assistance but still have a fear that confidentiality is an issue no matter how hard we ensure their privacy is guaranteed.

June 13, 2023 at 21:57
                            • Rhonda KellyRhonda Kelly
                              Member since Jun 2023

At a former company we also found the HCSA and EAP were being underused. It was frustrating because HR had to build our business case to have these items added to our resources. We held information sessions and “advertised” these services to our employee population. When we had our annual company BBQ (pre-Covid) we always invited our clients and suppliers/vendors to set-up booths to exhibit their products. We added an employee vendor section and invited our benefit reps, our EAP provider, a representative from Perkopolis, Mr. Safety Shoe, etc. This was very popular as the employees then were able to speak to representatives directly. We saw an uptick in usage and our EAP usage for counseling increased during COVID. Our paramedical services also increased and when an employee maxed out their coverage, they understood that they could then utilize their HCSA.

June 21, 2023 at 09:27
                              • Michelle HarrisMichelle Harris
                                Member since Sep 2022

Definitely mental health- not utilizing EFAP programs enough

July 7, 2023 at 12:19
                                • Harman Dhatt PCPHarman Dhatt PCP
                                  Member since Sep 2022

EAP is underused. Dental is highly used in our company.

August 14, 2023 at 12:07